What material handling problems can they solve?
A conveyor, when powered with either a belt or chain can dependably preform many tasks of automatic transportation, accumulation, storage and package manipulation.
POWERED conveyor will transport goods across level spans up or down grades, between floors and around turns at controlled speeds. Distances may be only a few feet or may extend across an antire factory or warehouse.
LIVE ROLLER conveyors ar powered by a belt or line shaft running under the rollers or a chian running through the side frame. This type of conveyor is used when there is an imbalance between work stations or machine operations, or when side loading and unloading is necessary. The load may be blocked and realeased without damage while the conveyor continues to operate. This basic principle can be used as a pacesetter in assembly or sorting operations and as a timing for integrated systems.
POWERED conveyors can eliminate storage handling costs when they are located between operations. The distances can be almost any length and may or may not be a straight line between use points.
With the use of Intersections, diverters, traffic cops, turning posts and guides, packages may be brought together, sorted and reoriented without manual aid and at full belt speed.
All of these features are available and are specifically designed to reduce material handling costs.
APPLICATION: PACKAGE HANDLING CONVEYORS
First, it should be understood that conveyor application is not an exact science. Almost always, there are several ways of engineering a system and many factors such as cost, personal opinion and experience will often influence the design. A sequence of operations is a good way to start.
WHAT FOLLOWS IS GENERAL CRITERIA, BY CONVEYOR TYPE WHERE ENGINEERING FORMULAS WILL NOT ALWAYS APPLY AND WHERE A DECISION BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND EVALUATION IS REQUIRED.
POTABLE BELT CONVEYORS arepre-engineered power driven units. They are specially designed to move cartons, cases, boxes, bags, etc. UP AN INCLINE. They can be used with or without supports as follows:
- Loading and unloading trucks and railroad cars.
- As a booster in a gravity conveyor line.
- On a stairway (not too long or too steep).
- Horizontally (when short & portable unit needed)
- Floor-to-Floor conveyor, when vertical lift required isn’t too great
- To keep material on the belt when conveyor is inclined – RUBBER, ROUGH-TOP, belting is used.
- Maximum recommended incline for portable belt conveyor with RUBBER, ROUGH-TOP belt and without cleats is 30 degrees. With cleats, unti can be inclined up to 45 degrees. However, keep in mind CENTER OF GRAVITY of material being moved (based on height and length) i.e. if carton is higher than it is long, it will topple back.
- Material to be moved can be WIDER THANBELT, when it is a solid bottom, i.e. if caton is 18 inches wide, it can easily be moved on a 12 inch wide belt (minimum belt width =2/3 product width)
- Belt on PORTABLE units moves in two directions – forward and reverse
- Portlable belt conveyors are available in STEEL and ALUMINUM models
- Aluminum belt conveyors can be moved about easily, even without supports.
- Under carriage supports are available for standard units. Thee supports are ADJUTABLE and PORTABLE and should be sold when quick adjustment and easier portablity are desired.