With fuel, food, and water prices on the rise, businesses are looking for any way to cut costs. One effective way of cutting costs is to invest in reusable packaging. Reusable plastic shipping containers and pallets offer several advantages to traditional shipping products.
- Reduces Fuel Costs: Removing 20 lbs. of solid waste from your supply chain will save 1 gallon of gas.
- Saves Trees: Eliminating 11 wood pallets from your supply chain saves one tree.
- Reduces Water Consumption: Remove 5 lbs of solid waste from your supply chain, you will save 9 gallons of water.
- Saves Money: One computer manufacturer was spending more than $1.7M/year in single-use packaging. It estimated that with a $187,500 investment in reusable bulk containers and dunnage, it saved approximately $1M/year in packaging.
- Reduces Product Damage: General Electric Appliance (Louisville, KY) reduced damage to inbound component parts by 85% after implementing reusable containers.
- Reduces Labor Costs: With small-lot packaging implemented at their assembly lines, Ford saved up to 3 feet of walking distance for each part, equating to 54 hours per year or 1.35 man weeks.
- Improves Workplace Safety: Worker injuries at CAMI Automotive (lacerations from opening boxes and strains from lifting heavy or awkward loads) were reduced after converting to reusable packaging in the late 1990s.
- Requires Less Energy: According to the Lifecycle Inventory Study, reusable containers require 39% less energy over their service life.
Most reusable plastic products are designed to be fully recovered and reprocessed into other
useful products at the end of its service life. Using reusable containers seems to make more sense everyday, no what industry,